Monday, May 26, 2008


The bathroom is FINALLY done. We worked our combined tukus's off this weekend to finish this project. Paint, shower doors, accessories...all finito.

Take a look at the before and after.



Monday, May 12, 2008

Bathroom Update

Andy finished up today. Now, we wait for the guy to come refinish the tub, then I can prime, paint, and install the clear glass shower doors. I'm thrilled with the way it has turned out so far. I've picked a lovely, pale aqua color to go on the walls. Hopefully, I'll be able to prime and paint this weekend.

These are pics of the two new doors we put in. The front door replaced an old 1950s three small light door. The slider was a really old, crappy, aluminum one that was put in all backasswards. Both of the new doors are MUCH better. I cannot believe how much difference the light in the front door makes to the whole front room.

Thursday, May 8, 2008

The bathroom

This bathroom remodel has been a complete bear. Now, please understand, we have only one bathroom, so this took a lot of planning. We waited until spring and the warmer weather. We have an outdoor shower and hot tub, which has made cleaning up not so bad. Where the danger really came, was the two days we have been without toilet facilities. Believe me, the practice of "bucket and chuck it" ain't much fun!

The demo was a complete "roaring whore" as my contractor Andy calls it. This house was built in 1957 and the bathroom was designed to withstand a nuclear winter, I have decided. It was your basic 1950s black and white tile bath. Here are the pics of the before.

The large hole over the sink was where I pulled out the old medicine cabinet three or four years ago. I had been meaning to tile it and fix it and stuff, but never seemed to get around to it. So, I just propped the old mirror in the hole and live with it. We had replaced an old rotting vanity with a new, low end, big box store, expresso cabinet and a medicine cabinet over the toilet. I had painted this tiny little room about four or five times, and unhappy each and every time. It was more than ready for a real update.

Now, the demo was to pull out all the old tile on the walls down to the studs. What we didn't know to begin with is that the tile was hiding damn near three inches of 50 year old concrete. Concrete continues to cure its entire lifetime, simply getting harder and harder over time... Behind this wall of concrete is razor sharp steel mesh nailed into dimensional studs. This was a near crippling experience. It took us almost two weeks to complete the entire demolition. Hammers, sledges, and even a hammer drill were put to use on this thing. We hauled out three or four truckloads of demo waste.

The first thing Andy did was retile the tub surround and replace the old crappy fixtures with new ones.

Yesterday she laid the new floor over the old floor, after leveling everything.

Today, she grouted the floor, installed most of the beadboard, and most importantly, she installed my brand new toilet that is supposed to be able to flush a whole meatloaf!! I am a happy girl.

Tomorrow, Andy will do some electrical work, finish the beadboard, install the cap, install the square pedestal sink and fixtures, fix the hole, move the light fixture up, install a mirror and shelf, and leave me ready for painting. Next week, I have another contractor coming in to reglaze the tub. Once that is fully cured, we will install frameless shower doors. Then I can paint, and it will be ALL finished....whew! I will post more pics as I get them. The beadboard, doors, and trim will be white. I think we're going to go with a more robin's egg blue for the walls, and a white ceiling.

The reason I'm not doing art right now

I am in the middle of a major house remodel. We have finished updating the kitchen, the utility room, replacing the front door, and now are in the middle of the bathroom remodel. Remember, this is a one bathroom wasn't pretty for a few days.
This is the utility room, before.

And this is what it looks like after, or at least the floor.

This is the best image I can find of the old kitchen...please excuse the fact I'm in it!

We replaced all the appliances. We painted all the cabinets and replaced the hardware. We replaced the four different countertops (1950s yellow boomerang laminate, butcher block, blue laminate, and cobalt tile) with large 24x24 granite tiles to minimize grout lines. And finally, we painted the whole thing a warmer, more buttery yellow. I love it and am really proud of what we accomplished on very little money. I think we managed to update the kitchen, modernize it, without overdoing it and keeping within the style and period of the house.

And the kitchen after:

Newish Art

This is a newish piece I did for a friend. I need to take some finalized pics with the grout and paint. Maybe this weekend. Now I just have to figure out how to ship the heavy heavy thing!